Sasha & Patric & Josh & Camilla Too!!


Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Business

So for the past two months, I have not had A LOT of work...but luckily Kami and Brad's rent has been a blessing to have because of this. I guess my thoughts to let them move in were not without merit. When people say how great Patric and I are for letting someone live with us, I remind them that we are not so great because they are paying rent, and how much of a blessing it is to us that they are. We are the ones that are lucky!

But, I think my days of less work are coming to a close. When Scott left Marcher Consultants, my work load diminished a lot. I wonder if it is because they knew I was so closely tied with Scott there? Or that I have refused to travel all the time because my goal is to be with Josh. Maybe my convictions have actually paid off!

I saw an ad on craigslist for a tax prep company looking for seasonal tax preparers. I have always felt that I needed a mentor or at least more experience in this aspect of the business. I have bookkeeping and analysis down, but actual taxes is my weak point. Sure, I can pass a test and get the license process, but I do not have the number of tax returns walking through my door that maybe I should? I haven't really pushed that aspect of my business, I guess because there is more liability involved. I did get a few new tax clients this year from my advertisement in the Montclairion, using craigslist and somehow on the internet. But then I got busy with doing consulting work in Arlington and didn't focus too much on the tax side of my business.

Long story short - I will be doing consulting work with this tax prep company. They will also give me more experience when it comes to representation work, which is another aspect of my license that I haven't used too much. I am proud to say that I got the state of VA off of my client's back, about his sales tax returns for the last 5 years. Also--the owners of the tax prep company are EA's, so they appreciate my license, where CPAs think they are gods or something and maybe laugh at an EA license? Remember, EAs are ALWAYS tax "experts", CPAs do not always do taxes...but they have the exposure...there are only 48,000 EAs in the US.

Even better, the owners of the tax prep company own preschools and daycare centers! And I can put Josh into their preschool while I am working in their office....for FREE! I will only put him in during the preschool hours in the morning, but it will be great for him to be around other kids he doesn't know and I am sure he will have so much fun! What a blessing right?

And then...I am on my way to Liese's sealing and I get an email for Tony, the company I did consulting work for in Arlington. His wife just happens to have a company that has bookkeeping needs and he thought of me because I am just so fabulous. We are working on that still, but I think that will be another client for me.

Plus-I have a new client I am working with that Scott has given me. He is out of Herndon, and I am still a bit shaky on how this one will turn out, but he is a new company and if we can talk some sense into him early on, I think he could be successful! He has some personal financial issues to work out, but he seems to have some big contracts professionally.

And Patric and I are doing great. The weather is changing...the house is cooler again...but we have plenty of firewood thanks to Butch, so we can make lots of fires. That was a day for Patric...on his way home the tire popped off of Charlie's trailer and Brad had to come rescue him. Needless to say, Patric was gone from 9:00am - 8:30pm...and we wanted to spend some time together that day...HA! Our time is always limited together...this weekend is littered with meetings...BLAH! One day we will be able to go on a date again....thank goodness for that weekend!

So life is pretty good right now. I can't complain. We are 2 months away from eliminating our credit card debt as well. I can't WAIT!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Sasha- You are so positive and made me think of all the things to be thankful for. I am so gald that your happy and things are working out for your family. We miss you guys!